OctoSAM 1.8.16 is available for download in the file base.
Database Repository for Queries, Reports and Site Tasks
Queries, Reports and Site Task definitions can now be stored in the OctoSAM database. The Installer does no longer install any of these files on the client. This allows for more flexible configurations, database specific queries and easy updates of these definitions without having to roll out a new client.
The ESX Scanner has been updated to include site-specific annotations.
Sample code for logging is provided in scan_vcenter.ps1. Please integrate with your site-specific code.
The Group scanner now supports scanning of groups from other domains
Sample code for logging is provided in scan_groups.ps1. Please integrate with your site-specific code.
Octoscan for Mac now reports domain information for Macs joined into an Active Directory domain
Site Detection on Import
Earlier versions use site information as reported by the client scanner exclusively. With 1.8.16, machine objects can be matched with the "Sites and Subnets" configuration of Active Directory on import. This allows systems such as ESX hosts or Macs to be matched with their site.
Oracle Virtualbox and Parallels virtualization is now detected on Windows scans.
Annotations and Extension Attributes
A generic mechanism has been implemented to extend objects with site-specific fields. This is used for ESX scanner objects (Machine, Virtual Machine, Cluster, Datacenter) first.
Extension Attributes is a mechanism to add site-specifc information via the GUI. Extension Attributes now also use the Annotation infrastructure.
Annotations are visible in the Fields tab of any object. The query engine can reference Annotations in a generic way.
VirtualMachine in OctoSAM Inventory GUI
Virtual Machine Tab now shows all fields of the VirtualMachine object. VM specific annotations are also shown here.
GUI Performance Improvements
Various performance improvements - particularly in tree controls with many elements.
Anonymizer Performance Improvements
See extra post. Customization of client configuration files is no longer needed for simple installations.
Changes and Enhancements:
- Updated documentation
- Updates to used 3rd party components
- Stability updates
- Make a backup copy of the database
- Migrate to schema version 1.8.16 from 1.8.15. See release notes of 1.8.15 if you migrate from earlier versions.
- Deploy the new Version of Octosocan2.exe to your environment
.scan files are compatible with versions 1.8.6 or newer of the import Service
Consider new setting ScanProductKeys to disable the product key scan. Default is enabled.
- Stop OctoSAM services on the server
- Run the .msi Installer
- Update the software catalog from latest master file
- Import Queries and Reports from provided .zip file
If you have custom queries, reports or tasks: Unzip the .zip File from the release and copy your custom files to the appropriate folder. Zip the folder structure again and import the new .zip file into the database.
Using configuration file Query.Folder setting is still supported, but discouraged.
- Restart OctoSAM services
- Update the VMWare vCenter scanner if in use (Support.zip/VMWare). Note the new sample code in scan_vcenter.ps1
- Update the AD Group scanner if in use (Support.zip/GroupScan). Note the new sample code in scan_groups.ps1
Known Limitations (will be fixed in further releases):
- FlexLM Diag scan supports only first configured vendor daemon, expiry date and other data scanned from diag is not available for other vendor daemons on the same FlexLM Server.
- Currently, the database does not allow more than 32767 issued licenses per server. Counts greater than that value will get truncated.
- Group Settings Published Software Packages: Changes to the published Software Packages are immediately written to the database, cancel out of the dialog is ignored