Release 1.10.4 is available for download
Supported Environments - minimum Requirements
||Windows Server 2008 R2
Windows 7 SP1
|macOS Scanner||Mac OS X 10.15 (Catalina)
Note that 1.10.4 is the last release that supports the python based scanner for macOS.
(only available for macOS 12.2 and older)
Migrate to the shell based scanner (required for macOS 12.3 or newer)
|Linux Scanner||RHEL / CentOS 7
Rocky Linux 8.4
other systemd based distributions upon request
|OctoSAM Database||SQL Server 2016 SP3 (Compatibility Level 130)
Note that 1.10.4 is the last release of OctoSAM to support SQL Server 2016.
Next release will require SQL Server 2017 (Compatibility Level 140).
|OctoSAM Server Components||Windows Server 2016
Releases up to 22.214.171.124 .net 6.0 hosting bundle
Releases from 126.96.36.199 .net 7.0 hosting bundle
|OctoSAM GUI||Windows 10 2004 (20H1) / Windows Server 2016
Releases up to 188.8.131.52 .net 6.0 desktop runtime 64 bit
Releases from 184.108.40.206 .net 7.0 desktop runtime 64 bit
- Software lifecycle can be configured per software package
- VMware ESXi is now treated the same as other operating system software.
OS signatures are generated and related to the ESX host machines.
This allows all features of the catalog and software queries to be applied to ESXi too.
ESXi packages contain lifecycle information.
- Raw operating system information from scanners is now stored per machine.
This allows export of very detailed information for other inventory systems, security impact analysis etc
- New field Machine.OperatingSystemUpdateBuildRelease for Windows UBR
- Web: LicensenseManager favorite features can now be configured per user
- Web: cleaned up layout, tabs with icons
- Web: added information to the Software Package page
- Web: added more fine-grained access privileges, existing roles may need to be adjusted
- Web: improved error messages and navigation from error to home
- License: Software Item can now be linked with a License Manager Server
- Improved software lifecycle queries
- Performance improvements throughout
- Improved Active Directory Import diagnostics logging and error handling
- Active Directory no-find warnings can now be suppressed on the scanned operating system for machines and users.
This allows to suppress no-find warnings for users scanned on Mac if user accounts not integrated into AD.
- Improved error handling and messages in the web interface
- Improved logging, more well-known warnings can be suppressed through configurations
- "Queries and Reports" has been renamed to Repository for consistency in all parts of OctoSAM.
- Database Schema Cleanup
- Updated 3rd Party Components
Scan File Compatibility
- The 1.10.4 import service supports reading 1.10.3, 1.10.2, 1.10.1, and 1.10.0, scan files. Import of older .scan files is only partially supported for Windows systems with unsupported operating systems (Windows XP, Windows Vista) that cannot update to the newest scanner. Imported information may be incomplete for these systems.
Update from 1.10.3 to 1.10.4 if updating from an earlier version, see release notes of all versions in between
- For OctoSAM server installations, make sure you have the newest .net 6.0 hosting bundle installed
- For the Octopus2 GUI client, make sure you have the newest .net 6.0 desktop runtime installed
- Stop OctoSAM services on the server
- Stop IIS if you have deployed an IIS based module
- Make a backup copy of the database
- Optionally run the .MSI Installer for the GUI client, but prefer starting the GUI client from the Server/Octopus2 folder without installing the .MSI.
- Rename the existing Server folder
- Copy the new Server folder from installation media
- Migrate the database schema with the supplied migration scripts
- Check your current appsettings.json settings with the new sample file
- consider switching to SSL encrypted LDAP connections
- database connections are using SSL now by default, see sample config for workaround if your SQL Server uses a self-signed certificate
- If you scan license management servers such as FlexLM, make sure the local tools are current. Use the newest tools provided by your servers.
- Update the repository (formerly Reports and Queries) from provided .zip file.
- Update RBAC definitions by running
octoutil rbac sync
alternatively wait until the housekeeping from restarted import service is complete.
The web UI may not behave as expected without updating RBAC definitions first.
- Start OctoSAM services
- Analyze the Service log files for errors and warnings during initial imports and housekeeping
- See new settings to suppress well known warnings for AD Lookup
- Update Octoscan2 windows scanner
- After successful update remove the now obsolete renamed Server folder
- DPI scaling is still experimental and does sometimes not work over RDP sessions, depending on the version of the server, the RDP client and DPI settings on involved systems.
- Modern Theme is experimental
- FlexLM Diag scan supports only first configured vendor daemon, expiry date and other data scanned from diag is not available for other vendor daemons on the same FlexLM server.
- Reports with more than 2000 different software packages selected fail due to a limit in SQL Server.